The VBA recognizes dedication and outstanding service to the community and to the bar with awards.
We thank not only those named in this list but all VBA members for their contributions.
Gerald L. Baliles Distinguished Service Award*
in recognition and appreciation of exceptional service and contributions to the bar and public at large
* Award renamed in 2008 for Governor Baliles
- 1988 Hon. Lewis F. Powell, Jr.
- 1990 Dean Emerson G. Spies
- 1992 Hon. William B. Spong, Jr.
- 1993 Hon. Harry L. Carrico
- 1995 Hon. Hunter B. Andrews
- 1997 Hon. George M. Cochran
- 1999 Hon. W. Tayloe Murphy, Jr.
- 2001 Hon. Gerald L. Baliles
- 2003 Hon. Whittington W. Clement
- 2007 Hon. Kenneth B. Stolle
- 2008 Hon. Elizabeth B. Lacy
- 2011 Hon. Leroy R. Hassell, Sr.
- 2013 G. Michael Pace, Jr.
- 2014 Hon. A. Linwood Holton, Jr.
- 2014 Hon. L. Douglas Wilder
- 2015 Hon. Cynthia D. Kinser
- 2016 Hon. John Charles Thomas
Roger D. Groot Pro Bono Publico Award*
in recognition and appreciation of outstanding pro bono and community service
* Award renamed in 2006 for Professor Groot
- 1987 R. Barrow Blackwell
- 1989 John C. Kenny,
- 1992 Henry W. McLaughlin, III
- 1993 Philip B. Morris
- 1993 Gail Starling Marshall
- 1994 George H. Hettrick
- 1995 Overton P. Pollard
- 1996 Prof. Robert E. Shepherd, Jr.
- 1999 Nina E. Olson
- 2000 David B. Rubinstein
- 2005 Prof. Roger D. Groot
- 2010 John M. Oakey, Jr.
- 2012 John D. Epps
- 2014 James M. Hingeley
- 2016 Lori D. Thompson
Robert E. Shepherd, Jr. Award
in recognition for excellence in the advocacy for children
- 2009 Andrew K. Block, Jr.
- 2015 Professor Margaret Ivey Bacigal
William B. Spong, Jr., Professionalism Award
for leadership and example inspiring to the legal profession and the public
- 1997 Hon. Harry L. Carrico
- 1998 R. Harvey Chappell
- 1999 Daniel J. Meador
- 2000 Minerva W. Andrews
- 2005 Robert N. Baldwin
- 2005 Kathy L. Mays
- 2009 Thomas E. Spahn
- 2009 William R. Van Buren, III
- 2014 Jeanne F. Franklin
Walker Award of Merit
in recognition and appreciation of exceptional leadership within the bar
- 1990 Harry J. Warthen, III
- 1993 John S. Stump
- 1994 Wilson F. Vellines, Jr.
- 1995 David W. Parrish, Jr.
- 1997 Courtland S. Traver
- 1998 Sandra P. Thompson
- 1999 Charles E. Friend
- 2002 Dexter C. Rumsey, III
- 2004 Thomas E. Spahn
- 2005 Overton P. Pollard
- 2006 Allen C. Goolsby
- 2009 Betty A. Thompson
- 2011 Guy K. Tower
- 2013 David Craig Landin
in appreciation of significant support of the mission of The Virginia Bar Association
- 2003 Sandra P. Thompson
- 2004 Henry D. Light
Award for Excellence in Legal Journalism
- 2010 Carl Esposito
- 2010 J. Todd Foster
- 2010 Daniel Gilbert
- 2012 Virginia Business
- 2012 Virginia Lawyers Weekly
Legislative Advocacy Award
in recognition and appreciation of outstanding service in promoting the legislative agenda of the association
- 2011 Patrick C. Devine, Jr.
- 2015 Cheshire I'Anson Eveleigh
Summer Meeting LexisNexis (formerly Michie) Award
- 1982 Justice & Mrs. Lewis F. Powell, Jr.
- 1983 VBA Judicial Life Members
- 1984 Deans of Virginia Law Schools
- 1985 Dean Emerson G. Spies
- 1986 Judges of Va. Court of Appeals
- 1987 Justice George M. Cochran
- 1988 Law School Dean Randall Bezanson (W&L)
- 1988 Law School Dean Thomas Jackson (U.Va.)
- 1989 Justice Richard H. Poff
- 1990 Justice Elizabeth B. Lacy
- 1991 Justice Charles S. Russell
- 1992 Law School Dean Robert E. Scott (U.Va.)
- 1993 Past VBA Presidents
- 1994 Law School Dean Barry Sullivan (W&L)
- 1995 VBA Journal Board & Editorial Staff
- 1996 Chief Court of Appeals Judge Norman Moon
- 1997 State Corporation Commission Judges