Welcome to The Virginia Bar Association
• Register to raise food, funds for the 2014 Legal Food Frenzy, March 31-April 11 •
• CLE program: Register for a Professionalism and Ethics Spring Symposium, March 28, Richmond •
• YLD Spring Executive Council Meeting, May 16-17, Duck, N.C. •
• See the VBA calendar for all events • Take a look at our Facebook photo albums •
• Read the VBA legislative agenda for 2014 (PDF) • Follow progress with updates •
• The winter issue of the VBA Journal features Ted Ellett. Or read it online •
• Donate to The VBA Foundation and strengthen our mission •
VBA member communications
Eight photographs from the VBA Annual Meeting appear in the Out & About feature in the March 2014 issue of Virginia Business. They appear on pages 10-11.
So far, the VBA-proposed legislation is faring very well in the General Assembly, with most of it still under consideration by the legislature after passage in its house of origin. Read Jeff Palmore's Feb. 14 report with bill-by-bill insight...
The organization's highest honor, the Gerald L. Baliles Distinguished Service Award, was presented to former Govs. A. Linwood Holton Jr. and L. Douglas Wilder at the VBA's 124th Annual Meeting. Baliles, himself a 2001 recipient of the honor that recognizes exceptional service and contributions to the bar and public at large, spun together the thread of the honorees' different backgrounds and terms in different decades in his remarks (PDF).
The latest VBA-commissioned portrait of a justice of the Supreme Court of Virginia was unveiled Friday at the black-tie banquet during the 124th Annual Meeting. With Justice Cleo E. Powell and her family on stage, then-VBA President Thomas R. Bagby and artist Vicars Lynn McKinney removed the drape. The portrait of Justice Powell is the latest painting of justices commissioned in the past 50 years by the VBA. These portraits hang in the justices' chambers until their retirement, when they are given to the court and become part of its portrait collection.
At the VBA Annual Meeting, then-YLD Chair Travis G. Hill presented honors to two attorneys for service to the Young Lawyers Division and the VBA as a whole.
W. Alexander Burnett of Williams Mullen in Richmond received the Sandra P. Thompson Award for outstanding work and exceptional long-term service. In particular, his work on behalf of the National Moot Court Competition was lauded.
Christopher M. Gill of Christian & Barton, L.L.P., in Richmond received the Emerson G. Spies Award for enthusiasm, loyalty and dedication in work for the organization in a given year. Gill has overseen significant growth in participation in the Legal Food Frenzy.
John L. Walker III became the 126th president of The Virginia Bar Association on Jan. 25 during the VBA Annual Meeting in Williamsburg. His father and grandfather also were presidents of the VBA. A partner at Williams Mullen in Richmond, Walker succeeds Thomas R. Bagby, who remains on the executive committee as immediate past president.
Other officers are Harry M. "Pete" Johnson III as president-elect and James P. Guy II as chair of the Board of Governors. Elaina L. Blanks-Green joins the executive committee in her new role as chair of the Young Lawyers Division.
Cheryl L. Black became chair of the Law Practice Management Division. New representatives joining the Board of Governors for three-year terms are William A. Galanko as Tidewater Region representative, Michal HuYoung as Capitol Region representative, C.J. Steuart Thomas III as Blue Ridge Region representative, and Mary C. Zinsner as Potomac Region representative. See the news release.
Find their photos and brief biographical sketches in the 2014 VBA Leadership Slate.
Read about the goals the VBA achieved last year in the annual report, "2013 In Review." (PDF) The six-page document touches on organizational sustainability, advocacy and legislative reform, membership, programs and communications.
Did you know that the 15 conferences and meetings the VBA presented last year offered 102.5 MCLE Credits (18.5 Ethics)? Or that efforts to better promote Virginia Barristers Alliance Inc. as the VBA's wholly owned insurance subsidiary resulted in the best year yet in dividends paid back to the VBA? Read more...
July 5, 2013, marks the founding of what has become The Virginia Bar Association. The Richmond bar led the effort 125 years ago to create a statewide group for lawyers. Read the VBA news release. Read VBA President Tom Bagby's In A VBA Minute on the topic.
VBA Online CLE: It’s to your credit
VBA Online CLE marries the strength of the Association’s educational programming, coordinated by VBA sections, with today’s on-demand world. The result is our latest benefit: recorded CLE at member-discounted pricing. Choose from a growing list of video or podcast presentations and earn mandatory CLE starting at $50 for 1.5 credit hours. Read more … Browse the catalog and make a purchase.
Edit your profile
SEE FULL CALENDAR
8th Annual Legal Food Frenzy
March 31-April 11, 2014
Last spring, 183 law firms, legal departments, government offices, and law schools across Virginia joined together to raise almost 1.5 million pounds of food for Virginia's hungry.
In the seven years of the statewide event, legal professionals raised the equivalent of 10 million pounds of food.
Consider getting involved in this collaborative effort of the VBA Young Lawyers Division, the attorney general's office and the Federation of Virginia Food Banks. Register to participate at LegalFoodFrenzy.com.
2013 Winners | 2012 Winners
2013 Awards reception photos
Some 2013 contest photos
Check out our programs!
- Eighth Annual Legal Food Frenzy, March 31-April 11, 2014, Statewide. Register by clicking the link. Schedule time to volunteer as a group at a local food bank by April 12 and earn 100 points for the competition.
- Legal Food Frenzy kick-off and membership celebration, March 13, Vienna, VA
- Professionalism and Ethics Spring Symposium, March 28, Richmond, VA
- Chief Justice's Pro Bono Summit, sponsored by the VBA, April 2, 2014, Richmond, VA
- 17th Annual Bankruptcy Law Conference, May 9-10, 2014, Duck, NC
- VBA YLD Spring Executive Council Meeting, May 16-17, 2014, Duck, NC
- 124th VBA Summer Meeting, July 24-27, 2014, White Sulphur Springs, WV
- Boyd-Graves Conference (invitation only), Oct. 24-25, 2014, Richmond, VA
- 25th Annual Tax Practitioners' Roundtable, Oct. 31, Charlottesville, VA
Selected VBA Projects
The Virginia Bar Association is the independent voice of the Virginia lawyer, advancing the highest ideals of the profession through advocacy and volunteer service.