10. Satisfy your annual MCLE credit requirements and strengthen your professional education with interesting and timely continuing legal education programs at The Virginia Bar Association Annual and Summer Meetings as well as specialized seminars.
9. Build a professional network through the many opportunities provided by the VBA and its sections, committees, divisions, meetings and special projects. VBA members have been consistently recognized by their peers for their leadership in the profession. More than 80% of the "Virginia Legal Elite" named by Virginia Business magazine are VBA members.
8. Learn more about your area of legal practice and meet others in your field by joining one or more of the VBA's 19 substantive law sections. Our sections offer continuing legal education, networking and leadership opportunities, service projects and law reform involvement. Every member of each VBA section gets a customized annual summary of legislative actions tailored to the member's area of practice. Several sections hold annual conferences that provide additional occasions for professional development in specialized practice areas.
7. Get more for your dues dollars -- VBA leaders and staff work together to keep costs affordable and quality high for all VBA programs, events and services.
6. Receive significant discounts on insurance products offered through Virginia Barristers Alliance, Inc., the insurance agency subsidiary of the VBA. In some cases, you may save enough to pay your annual dues! For more details visit www.virginiabarristersalliance.com. The VBA has arrangements with a number of preferred vendors which provide additional benefits. See the full list of benefits by clicking here.
5. Enjoy no-cost membership in the VBA Law Practice Management Division. This Division, membership in which is provided to all VBA members at no additional cost, provides practical advice on law office management to all sizes of law firms, from solo practitioners to megafirms. The VBA/LPMD offers informative CLE programs, a quarterly newsletter, and other useful benefits related to carious aspects of law practice management. For example, VBA members can get a 15% discount on ALL books published by the American Bar Association when placing orders through the VBA's Book Program, a special gesture of the VBA Law Practice Management Division.
4. Join lawyers who promote the highest standards of integrity, professionalism and excellence in the legal profession. This is the VBA's mission. We work hard to keep our members current about ethics and professionalism issues- so hard, in fact, that we've even taken our educational efforts on the road to local and specialty bars throughout Virginia. "Have ethics, will travel" is our motto.
3. Be a part of the solution: Law reform is a key activity of the VBA, not only during the General Assembly but all year long, through development of proposals and work on legislative studies. The VBA is proud to serve our legislature as a resource of legal information. We achieve successful passage of many of our proposals on their legal merits.
2. Make public service part of your professional life. Public service underscores much of the VBA's work -- whether it's helping to provide legal services for the indigent or mentally ill, being an advocate for children and for victims of domestic violence, producing handbooks and videotapes for public information, there is a VBA community service program for you! Our nationally-recognized, award-winning Young Lawyers Division spearheads many of these projects and invites lawyer-volunteers of all ages to participate.
1. Make friends! Collegiality is what the VBA is all about -- building lifelong friendships through working together to serve the public and legal profession, improving the administration of justice and fostering a culture of professional civility, just as VBA members have done for more than a century.